Sunday, October 14, 2007

New (to us) motorcycle

Well, I found a deal I couldn't pass on... a 1998 Kawasaki KLR650. I have liked these bikes for a long time, they're kind of like riding a 2 wheeled Lay-Z-Boy... big, cushy & comfortable! The neat thing about it is the ability to carry Catherine comfortably, run at highway speeds all day long, travel over on dirt roads, get 300 miles out of the 6 gallon tank, etc. They are one of the ugliest bikes ever built, but they're also one of the most reliable. I wanted something I can take on multi-day adventures with the wife and this is the bike. It's ugly, the paint is faded & has the aerodynamics of a cinder block. I love it!


I need to do some work on it before it's ready for a big roadtrip, but it runs & drives great. We're thinking about taking our first big trip down to Telluride, CO. We'll have to do it soon, before it gets much colder. Of course Catherine is excited about getting to purchase riding boots, a riding jacket & a helmet.

Once it warms up again next year, I'd like to plan some great trips. We've been thinking abouot Yellowstone, Mesa Verde, Zions NP, etc.





The day after I bought the bike, I took it out for a 100 mile test ride. I went up thru the Colorado National Monument & kept going South. The paved road turned to dirt and eventually the dirt road turned into a small trail. I ended up in the high-country surrounded with Aspen and Pine trees, seeing the fall colors as they turned. Here's some pics from that trip.-



























\

7 comments:

The Snow Queen said...

Yes but will my 4 kids fit on it? Yeah, I didn't think so. They won't fit on "our" Buell either. The trees look gorgeous in your pictures. How was Jo's wedding? How's the jeep coming? I want to go to Zion's bad. Yellowstone was fun too (its been 4 years). This summer we will have to meet somewhere.

Anonymous said...

Looks like you guys will have fun on it. Will you buy a little trailer for Daisy to ride in. The leaves are beauitful. Maybe next fall I will come and see them.

Joe said...

Cool! Are you going to put some hard bags on it? I got mine from these guys: http://happy-trail.com/category.aspx?categoryID=720

Are you on ADVrider.com yet? There are a few dozen guys in your area that get together and ride often...

- Joe

Christina said...

It may be true that the bike is not astheticly pleasing but it works but at least you don't have to worry about somebody stealing it. Plus you can't see what it looks like while you are on that sweet ride.

Ben

RobRoy said...

Catherine, you need to get some black leathers, so you can be a true biker-momma!

Kate said...

Thats pretty cool. Take lots of pictures on your road trips so I can live vicariously through you. And be safe!

Em-Cat said...

Catherine...cool bike.

I'm tagging you! You have to share 7 random facts.

Rules:
Link to the person who tagged you; Share 7 random facts about yourself; Tag 7 other bloggy friends & leave a comment on their blogg with the rules.

Have fun!