Saturday, April 18, 2009

the infamous waterproof hiking shoes

So about 5 years ago I bought a pair of hiking shoes the week before I met greg. I bought them having talked with greg on the phone and through email. I knew that he loved the outdoors and that i would soon be sharing this love of his. My mom went with me and i'm sure she thought i was crazy.
Throughout the years I have used these shoes almost weekly. Greg and i have always "discussed" how waterproof these shoes are. I try with all my might to convince him that they are in fact waterproof and he persistently denies such a claim. This last weekend we went camping with some friends and it rained every night. One morning i woke up to place these shoes on my feet and noticed that they had a little bit of water on them. Horrified that i might be wrong i quietly slipped them onto my feet without letting greg know how cold and damp they really were. When the morning fire was lit i sat next to it with one shoe on and trying to dry the other. Greg noticed and made a comment about how i was drying them out. I tried to convince him that i was merely trying to warm them up in the morning air. They were completely wet steaming against the fire.
Once again i succeed to greg. He is right. My shoes are not waterproof.
I thought about this and realized is this such a bad thing? No, I say not. Now i get to shop and buy another pair of shoes.
This time they will be waterproof.

2 comments:

The Snow Queen said...

Did you really think they were water proof or were you just being stubborn? I can't imagine you doing that, of course, but I had to ask.

Margene said...

So they weren't water proof. Is anything reallly water proof. I think not